Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ten of the Most Memorable Things of the Decade

Since we're closing in on 2010 I felt that there needed to be a list of some of the most memorable things that happened in the past decade. Let's just get right into it shall we?

1. No Strings Attached - *NSYNC



On March 21, 2000 this album was released. A week later, it held the record for most albums sold in one week with 2.4 million sold. With the wave of mp3's, iPod's and other means of getting music for free, this record still holds today and will most likely never be broken. Not only that but they have also been recognized as having the second highest selling album of the decade, right behind The Beatles #1 Compilation. So if you want to, you can say that *NSYNC had the highest selling album of the decade full of original material. And this makes me just as giddy and teenybopperish as I was ten years ago, dancing and singing along to this CD. Hell, I still do that. This album is iconic, and wonderful in every type of pop culture way.

2. Justin Timberlake



I thought I'd just go with the *NSYNC theme here, because Justin became a ridiculous super huge mega-star in the past ten years. I hardly know anyone who doesn't find him likeable in some sort of way. He's a power house. He went from touring the world with sold-out shows, to touring the world with more sold-out shows to a budding movie career to touring the world with more sold-out shows to putting his dick in a box to clothing lines to restaurants to his own tequila to being a mother lover and becoming a very good actor. The Social Network put him up in the real movie star kind of status, and with three movies coming out next year, he just won't stop. But the one question remains, when will he sing again, because we all just want to dance.

3. Desperate Housewives/The Rise of the Cougar



Desperate Housewives put cougars back on the map with their spicy leading ladies, and made soap operas a lot more juicy, and a lot more sexy. With the exception of seasons 2, 5, and 6... they have certainly stuck with me, and I hope they have more juicy storylines, because some things are just plain ridiculous. A guy locked in a basement? Katherine becoming bat shit and then becoming a lesbian? Gaby not being fabulous? Please... give me more of this season though, because Vanessa Williams is killing it, and will she kill the relationship between Lynette and Tom? No way, chances are Vanessa is getting the axe, maybe not now, but sooner or later, I don't see her being a permanent resident on Wysteria Lane. Then again, no one really is. I also think DH also paved the way for the return of the cougar. Try Courtney Cox on Cougar Town or any other show or movie in recent times that features an older woman on the prowl. Thanks ladies, for showing women that you can still be in your 40's and 50's and be sexy --- in a good way.

4. Will Ferrell



If this decade has brought us anything it's the comedy chops of Will Ferrell. Even though he had a rough start when he first joined SNL, he soon found his ground, and became a media darling. Like or love his scream like a baby about Tom Cruise attitude, he has become a staple in the comedy world. He's had a lot of hits, Anchorman, Old School, Talladega Nights, Elf, and some misses, Blades of Glory, Land of the Lost, Semi-Pro. He also became an internet sensation, or rather help his landlord become a sensation. Baby Pearl yelling for the rent is still laugh out loud funny, no matter how old it gets. A lot of people think he's the new Jim Carrey --- no. Even though he has done so much great in this decade, he has done a lot of the same. The same type of character with a new name and situation and occupation that screams and yells just like everyone else. I love Will, and while still under the radar I thought his most recent, The Other Guys, was fantastic, because Will switched it up for once. Also in the dramedy Stranger Than Fiction he went outside his barrier. That's more of the Will Ferrell I'd like to see. Although, he does do a fantastic former President. And I will always know that Blue is my boy, and last I will always mourn the possibility of an Anchorman 2: The Musical. One can only hope for some more afternoon delight and sex panther.

5. Six Feet Under Series Finale



After having seen this I made an ultimate decision to change my life because I could die tomorrow. If you really want a life changing experience, watch this show. The journey all the characters had from beginning to end was gripping, real, and astonishing. I couldn't take my eyes off of this show once I began to watch. And in the 75 minute finale, everyone told me I would cry. I can be emotional anyway, and if you didn't cry during this finale, then you are not to be considered as a human being. It's so raw and emotional, and it literally made me re-evaluate everything in my life. If you've never seen it, then you need to pick up the DVD's and start watching right now. R.I.P. Six Feet Under

6. Dexter: America's Favorite Serial Killer



After such a successful run on Six Feet Under Michael C. Hall went on to one of the greatest TV shows in recent years. Based on the Dexter novel series by Jeff Lindsay, Dexter is about a mild-mannered blood spatter analyst by day and a serial killer on the prowl at night. Enstilled with "The Code" he only kills those who deserve it, and with constantly shocking and leaving us on the edge of our seats for nearly five seasons now, Dexter has become a staple in my Sunday night line-up. Watching him transistion over the last five years has been nothing short of heart stopping and with guest star Julia Stiles right now, Dexter is getting intense. I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about it.

7. The Dark Knight



This was it. The movie of 2008. The sequel to Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins, this movie became one of the most talked about movies, well ever. After Heath Ledger's untimely death many wondered of his presentation of how he portrayed The Joker, and if the following award season was any indication, he deserved it. His Joker was unimagineably creepy, and amazingly pyschopathic. Let's face it, this entire movie was fantastic as a whole, but Heath Ledger was the one who really shined. We will miss you.

8. Superheroes Kick-Ass



It seems as though this last decade was full of superheroes, and the boom began with Spider-Man and resonated from there. There were a few duds, Eric Bana's Hulk, Edward Norton's Hulk, Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3 --- sorry but that dance scene was ridiculous. And it lacked Topher Grace too much. But with the duds came the amazing, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Iron Man, which certified Robert Downey Jr.'s welcome back to being a bad ass status, and then the cult hits, like Watchmen and Kick-Ass. And with numerous superhero movies coming out in the next few years, this trend will not be going away any time soon.

9. The Red Sox Win The World Series --- Twice



It was only a matter of time, and Boston finally did it, in 2004 and in 2007. Nothing comes better to my memory than watching the Red Sox sweep the Cardinals in the 2004 series. Those memories will be with me for a long time, and I am so happy Boston finally came out on top. Screw you Yankees, we finally had our moment!

10. The Simpsons Made A Movie and Became the Longest Running Prime Time Series In History



The movie wasn't great by any means, but it did have a lot of heart, and I thought they did a great job at making the series into a much anticipated movie. They've had a few rough patches but the fact that they're still producing laughs on a weekly basis amazes me, being in their 22nd season, and I'm sure they'll keep the laughs coming for many more seasons. When I think of the true American family, I can't help but think of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.

Honorable Mentions:

Friends Series Finale - It was a milestone when this show ended. Ross and Rachel finally got together, Chandler and Monica had twins, Phoebe and Mike were becoming domestic, and Joey was, well the same. But if that scene where you didn't know whether or not Rachel got off the plane didn't make you tear up, you obviously weren't into Friends. And I still think that the finale has the best Chandler line in the entire series. "We could give each of them half a medallion, and then years later, they'll find each other and reconnect. Now, that's a great day for everybody." Goodbye, my Friends.

Toy Story 3 - The Toy Story's over now, and Andy has gone to college. I told my ten-year-old niece that I had seen it and she asked me why I saw it because I was an adult. Well, I couldn't tell my niece to fuck off, but I could say that you're never too old for Woody and Buzz. Definitely one of the greatest animated films of all time.


Reality TV - Do I really need to explain? Most likely 75% of the shows you watch now are reality. There are so many types of reality shows. Competing for love, competing for money, competing for fame, competing for weddings, competing for pets, competing for weight loss --- and oh how we love it.




That's my list. What did you think were the most memorable things of the past decade? Write in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment