Monday, October 10, 2011

A Look Back - Zoolander



Ten years ago we all found out what a eugoogalizer was and that orange mocha frappuchinos were a great way to tame the blues. This was all thanks to Derek Zoolander. I don’t know whether it’s the fall air or the fact that a new team of besties came out last weekend, Stefon and Zoolander, which you can watch at the link below…


But as hilarious as the above is, (how could you do that to Hansel?!) Zoolander has been a favorite of mine for many years. Being only 14 at the time it was released, I don’t think I actually got to see this in the theaters, but I definitely remember falling in love watching it’s syndication on TV, and even though this movie is far from Oscar worthy, (in the people’s eyes, not mine) the love and laughter come charging at you anyway. There’s been recent talk of a sequel with the original cast returning, ten years later into a new world where they may seem out of date and maybe not model of the year worthy anymore. I hope this comes to fruition soon, because the time is perfect for Stiller. Between the fun and family oriented Night at the Museum’s to the lackluster third chapter of Little Fockers to the upcoming hit or miss Tower Heist, I think everyone needs a little bit of Derek, Hansel, and Matil again. (In between Finnish dwarves of course.)

There are a million things I could go on and on about while I laugh and type simultaneously, but it’s the little things that are real memory triggers for me. Alexander Skaarsgard from HBO’s True Blood was one of the male models, um earth to Sookie another reason why you should be with Eric. Probably my favorite little known fact from this film comes from the discussion between Derek, Matilda, and David Duchovny’s beautiful hand model character J.P. Prewitt in the graveyard. Derek asks why male models, and Duchovny’s response is a good example of so, until Derek pauses and repeats but why male models to which he replies, are you serious? I just answered that. Apparently Stiller forgot his line after David’s big speech, so he just repeated his earlier line while David just went with it. To me that is just another fine example of comedy gold.

Many people ask me, really, Zoolander? Yes, it’s really in my top 10. Not only do I crack the fuck up every time I watch it, but it just tugs at my heart strings just a little bit. I don’t know if it’s him asking the moon, who am I, or the love story between Ben Stiller and his wife, but this movie just gets me in a warm, fuzzy place. I can’t resist Hansel’s story of falling down Mt. Vesuvius, how you know Mugatu gets farty and bloaty from foamy lattes, centers for ants, mermen, freak gasoline fight accidents or just the utter and complete ironic stupidity of everything this movie stands for. Let’s all cross our fingers for the return of Blue Steel, and hope that Magnum can come out and dazzle us all once again. And to end this entry here is one of the best scenes from Zoolander.

No comments:

Post a Comment